Monday, December 17, 2012

On leaving Tucson


Hatch, New Mexico

There is a certain point when the only thing left to do is go. I knew I would need to leave sometime before dawn mostly because it was a long day of driving. But I was also afraid that if I saw the sun rise over the curve of the Rincons and spread into the Valley again, I couldn't (or wouldn't) drive away from my dear cozy Sylvita House.

So, I opened the door, sat down, gave Lizzie a somewhat-reassuring pat on the dashboard, and rolled on out the drive way as tears streaked down my cheeks. This place has been home. This place is home... or was home? How can I ever say thank you enough? Why am I doing this? How do you...

My sentimental musing were interrupted by the fact that I was actually moving. My car was actually moving down the road, over a speed bump without scraping, around the corner without the rear axle breaking (as I had imagined all night) and the car coming to an embarrassing, screeching halt. My poor, overloaded little Yaris was actually going to drive with just about all of my remaining Tucson possessions... I could only hope she would make it for another 2000+ miles.

I slipped in the first of my rationed new CD's compiled by Tucson friends. The stars slowly faded over those first hours and the light slowly rose over strange mountains as Bright Eyes crooned, "This is the first day of my life..."

No comments:

Post a Comment