In the window of time between my spring at Jubilee and the start of my bike ride, I decided to try out my brother's pilot benefits and fly standby to Tucson. And, lo and behold, it actually worked and I arrived here safe and sound on Friday evening after a few minor travel adventures. It is wonderful to see the desert again and the way it spreads out forever and ever amen with mountains popping up here and there like the most wonderful surprises. It is also so good to see my Tucson people again. I was greeted excitedly at the bus stop by my Tucson family and, later, by their happy yellow lab, Zoe. We surprised one of our good friends by showing up on her back porch. On a run yesterday morning I stopped to catch up with Scott, my former boss/mentor/friend, who happened to be outside planting barrel cacti in his front yard at 6:30am. Then, on the way back to the house, a hip stranger driving a mini van flashed a peace sign at me when I let him go first at a stop sign. Oh Tucson, it has been too long... I also had the chance to see former neighbors and friends while working with Mark & Sue on building a sun-shade on the side of their house and at a first birthday party for yet another little sweet one who seems to be growing like a string bean. It is good to be back again and there is much more to come. I tried to write a haiku about all of this, but with so few syllables, I'm afraid it only came out like this:
The full moon rises
over the Rincons – a sail
to move my dreaming.
That just really didn't really cut it for me, so I tried again and I think it might have come out a little better this time. :-) Here is how it looks this morning:
As I drove into the city, the full moon
rose over the Rincons like a sail – pulling
the soft and spreading city out behind it
like so many river rocks, or the hull of
a place I one knew or the way it feels
to come home and sleep beneath a
star-studded, hand-stitched quilt
in a bed you did not make. Sometimes
hope is working side-by-side in swirling
clouds of dust as the sun settles on
your shoulders like wool and your hands
grow tired together. At the end of the day
the rebar curved up like archways and
buttresses held together by curling
tendrils of wire and the hopeful, tiny
Queen’s Wreath, stood courageously,
waiting to climb. We ate heaping bowls
of homemade ice cream with oats and
flax seed meal sprinkled on top and talked
about the kinds of things you talk about
after a Saturday of work: muscles, bones,
the way you stand and walk after the world
has fallen on your back. The moon rose
again last night and cast a sparkling light
over the desert making everything seem
more significant. I showered outside and
felt the work of the day wash out to water
the peach tree in the yard – glowing, free.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment