Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Segment 5: Ride Day 25 - I think I see... MOUNTAINS!!!

Route: La Junta, CO to Florence, CO (First Southern Baptist Church)
Distance: 95.8 miles
Riding Time: 5 hours: 47 minutes
Average Speed: 16.5 mph (enjoying it while it lasts… :-)
Max: 40.5 mph
Weather: Cool-er this morning (upper 80’s) warming to a dry, hot 98 degrees. Light winds out of the east (yeah tailwind!!). Scattered t-storms several hours after we arrived. (these dropped 1” of rain and caused flash flooding around Colorado Springs because of the fire damage from several weeks ago… just to keep things interesting)

Extra-Special Bonus Stats

Current Elevation: 5180 feet
Total Elevation gained since this morning: 1102 feet
Population of Florence, CO: 4,000

Here’s a bit of what today looked like:
  • Wake up at 4am – stretch, brush teeth, get dressed, pack
  • Breakfast at 5am – Wonderful women from the church (Helen and another woman whose name I forget… Note: these two are exactly 1/5 of the whole church population) woke up bright and early to make us pancakes and sausage! Unfortunately I’ve learned that pancakes and sausage don’t make for a very comfortable first hour on the bike so I had my oatmeal and peanut butter and a pancake or two on the side. Yum! They made them with 7-Up instead of water and were delicious and fluffy. Woah. Who knew?!
  • Devotions at 5:45 and off on our bikes riding off into the sunrise by 6am
  • I arrived at our host church by 12:30… and discovered I was the third biker in today out of 15. Crazy! This might just be because I didn’t have any flats or have to serve as a witness to a car accident in Pueblo like some of the other riders… but hey, I’ll take it. Wahoo!
  • My wonderful college housemate Angela (who just happened to be working in Pueblo, CO today and passing through Florence on her way home to Colorado Springs) showed up a little after 1pm… and I was pretty excited! It is awfully reassuring to see familiar faces and realize that, in some circles of people, I am indeed completely normal. Yay!
  • Angela kindly helped to heft our giant, obnoxious, stuffed-full bags out of the trailer and into the church while I showered and applied my anti-stink (which I sadly forgot this morning ;) and then we headed off to downtown Florence to find some serious FOOD. Thanks to Angela, I had a delicious, amazing giant Swiss Mushroom Burger and a mountain of fries with copious amounts of ketchup and mustard followed by a raspberry truffle ice cream cone. Happy. Happy. Happy.
  • Angela took off for another interpreting job in Colorado Springs around 4 and I proceeded to stay awake long enough to blow up my air mattress and then crash face down on it for a long 2-hour nap… that could have easily lasted until tomorrow morning.
  • Supper – chili by Ben’s chore team. (just barely awake for this)
  • Blog catch-up. (sans internet connection :(
  • Sleep by 9 on a cool, cloudy night… I have no idea what climbing 5000 feet will feel like tomorrow but I think I’m gonna need a lot of sleep first and a lot of taking-it-one-pedal-at-a-time-and-stopping-for-picture-breaks-all-the-time tomorrow for our 85-mile climb. Oh yeah. We rock. We can do this… with a little help from our friends the Super Duper DoubleStuffOreos from Mama and Poppy. Wahoo! Ok, Goodnight! (snorrrreeee…. drool… snort… sigh...)
And we're off!
Ok, can you see the mountains just above the horizon? Yeah, that's what I thought! Wahoooo!

Midas is getting bored waiting for the mountains at rest stops.
Ok, can you see them now? Wahoooo!
I was just a little excited... and yes, I do have a ridiculous purple Gatorade tongue.
Does anyone else think this cloud looks like a big heron? So cool! Also... you'll note the mountains beneath it. ;)
Lunch with Angela! I ate this all myself. No regrets. I guess I was just a little hungry. Yum!
Angela and I... and pots... in Colorado. So great!!!

Mmm... 2 Sister's Cafe Man, you make a mean burger. Deeeelicious!
Angela brought me goodies! So exciting!

Woah! There is apparently a lot happening in Florence these days!
Laundry. Sleep. Supper. Computer. Sleep.

2 comments:

  1. This post inspired me to order a nice hearty 'shroom and swiss burger at dips 'n dogs last night. Of all the inspirational things on your blog, that one is probably pretty low on the list, but it was really delicious:) You're awesome, Kristi! Keep on rolling!

    ReplyDelete