Route: Lewiston, ID to
Moscow, ID (Moscow Christian Life Center)
Distance:
43.3 miles
Riding Time: 3
hours: 51 minutes
Average Speed: 11.2 mph
Max: 33.3 mph
Weather: Beautiful cloudy,
post-rainy morning climb up, up, up and out of Lewiston. A little cooler after
the 2,000 foot climb with some rain sprinkles towards the end of the ride. It
is pretty dang wonderful to feel chilly again… such a strange feeling! Hmm… now
about that going back to Georgia in the middle of August business… what on earth am I
thinking?? ;)
Current Elevation: 2579 feet
Population of Moscow,
ID: 24,499 people
This morning started out with another delicious breakfast provided by yet another nearby host church. After breakfast we walked back to our sleeping church and had a short devotional provided by none other than the words of Millard Fuller. You can hear his words here:
But the road cannot be home forever... as much as I dream about all the bike adventures I would like to pursue from Vancouver on. At some point I'll have to come down... but this doesn't mean my life has to be predictable. No sir! It just means that I have to be careful to take my road-side learnings and carry them into my life in new and creative ways... and to be ready to change even my seemingly-best-laid plans when the unexpected arises and God steps in to do something brand spankin' new.
Our ride today reflected so well this sentiment. Today our first 10 miles included a lovely few miles on winding bike paths along the river before an 8-miles climb up the aptly-named Spiral Highway that lead up the hills and on out of the Snake River valley and onto the rolling, golden, wheat-covered hilltops above. It was one of the more gradual climbs (4-6% grades) and it was absolutely beautiful to watch the road wind back and out beneath us. It was one of the few climbs I have ever done where, from the top, you can see almost the entirety of the road stretched out beneath you when you are done. When we were climbing, mostly we could just see the road ahead, but at some point, it all just opened up and we could see it all laid out below us like some amazing topographical map... but a whole lot more beautiful. This is how life works sometimes... I hope.
On a pretty different note, I have also been doing some thinking recently about the way that cycling irons some of the wrinkles out of our broken selves along the way... how working on our legs and lungs is, in many ways, also working on our souls and the sorrows we might still carry there. Anyway so here are some words that I've been thinking about recently:
![]() |
| Spiral Highway, Lewiston, ID |
The morning drapes new and covered-over
like blankets on this valley, holding in the
water-splattered blacktop and the sunlight
and me. The movement of legs on feet on
pedals is round and rhythmic as breathing
and the wheels sparkle and spin their way up
and up and up out away from the width
of the river. The more I rise, the smaller it
looks - gentled in the mist of another dawn.
Sometimes I think it is the pain that brings
us here to this hill, almost the whole way across
the continent. It is the pain of the past and the
desire to ride it out that spins us into adventures
where there is only looking forward, carrying
whatever we hold in our memories. I hold a
friend. Another friend. Grandparents. Lost love.
The weight of homelessness. Children crying
or too quiet to cry or know otherwise.
or too quiet to cry or know otherwise.
My heart is heavy but the wind is swift past my
ears, it's song that sings right to the sore places
inside of me. Let it, let it in. Let it be. Let it in.
Ride. Ride. Ride on. Ride. We ride out
what we cannot shake. We ride out bravely
over the pockmarked and pitted surface that
is this ribbon of road and climb and fall together:
birds in lines and V's and sometimes quite alone.
Life is short. And the road, for now, is my home.
Life is short and oh-so-sweet, honey and the road,
oh the winding, climbing road, is my home.
oh the winding, climbing road, is my home.
My home.
.jpg)

These are beautiful words, Kristi. Sometimes my heart feels like a "potmarked and pitted surface". The times when I can go within, undistracted by my cacophonous stream of consciousness, these moments I cherish. I can become the sculptor for ME. I can cradle my beating heart in my hands and smooth the surface.
ReplyDeletePedal on my friend, pedal on.